The 1952 Templeton (Saturn)

Cars, trucks, motorcycles, carrier pigeons and anything else with a motor.

Moderator: Pokaris

The 1952 Templeton (Saturn)

Postby Tullamore » Jan 25 2007 01:59:54 pm

I have been meaning to post this for a long time as I finished up my research on this car some time ago. This car was built here in Ames on the Sunny Heights farm on Templeton road out off of north Dayton Road.

This is a picture of the car while it was being campaigned across the US showing Bob Hope with the Templeton. Notice the Ames liscence plate.

Post World War II returning soldiers introduced to British sports cars to America but there were no two-seater American sports cars. Templeton decided to build his own. It is rumored that the car's boat tail was shaped by hammering the sheetmetal over an actual boat.

This hand built car was created atop a 1948 Mercury sedan chassis and the driver now sits where the back seat would have been on the original Mercury.

The car is 17.5 feer long with the hood being 7.5 feet of that so long that two engine could fit under it. It was powered by a race prepped Mercury V8 reportably clocked at being able to reach 143.2 mph.

Templeton created a national PR campaign around this car and showed it off all over the country. As it became harder for his wife to get into the car (which had no doors) he added airplane style steps to help her get in. This car was even the poster car for Erickson Implement Co., Ionite Batteries, and other companies.

The car was originally called the Saturn and when the Saturn car company was started in the 80s he was so disgusted by them using the name that he ripped all the badging off the car and replaced it with Templeton badging.

Anyways I have a lot of pictures, articles, and brochures about this car if anyone is interested. I do not know much about the company that this car founded but it was called Lloyed Templeton Transportation. If you are wondering the car is currently under restoration and I suggested to the Iowa Transportation Museum at the old Spaulding factory that they should have this car on display for a while as it is a famous party of Iowa's automotive history.

Tullamore
postcount = god

Postby WrenchHead » Jan 25 2007 02:49:20 pm

Awesome!

The longer I live in Ames, the more interested in the local history I become.

Do you remember the name of the company that started in Ames, cutting down Studebaker trucks as haulers? I'll have to dig into the stuff I have sitting at home. That was a long lived business in town and I believe his first truck lot was where the Domino's Pizza is on Hayward Ave. now..
WrenchHead
i need a life. link me plz.

Re: The 1952 Templeton (Saturn)

Postby Commander » Jan 25 2007 05:11:16 pm

Tullamore wrote:The car was originally called the Saturn and when the Saturn car company was started in the 80s he was so disgusted by them using the name that he ripped all the badging off the car and replaced it with Templeton badging.
lol, I don't blame him
daoist wrote:
daoist wrote:
daoist wrote:Hey autoXers, did I lend any of you my helmet? I can't find it.
hey dumbass, check the garage.
thanks, that's where it was!
Commander
loser

Postby Commander » Jan 25 2007 05:12:11 pm

btw this is a cool brief report. was this for an assignment or is this a past time for you?
daoist wrote:
daoist wrote:
Commander
loser

Postby Tullamore » Jan 25 2007 05:42:51 pm

No, I wrote it specifically for StrangeTalk. The car was built just a few houses down from the one I grew up in and in a lot of Templeton's interviews he talks about how he loved playing in the same river valley that I did when I was a kid.

I just thought it is a neat story, and I should have posted quotes from the Templeton family. Since it was built in Ames and probably nobody here ever knew of it I thought I would share.
Tullamore
postcount = god

Postby WrenchHead » Jan 25 2007 05:51:47 pm

Yeah, I think it's cool.. I offered to help the Ames Historical Society scan photos they were given by the Tribune. Mostly because I want to see all the things from the past that have long since been destroyed.

This town loves to tear down old buildings and put new ones in their place...
WrenchHead

Postby Commander » Jan 25 2007 05:59:54 pm

WrenchHead wrote:Yeah, I think it's cool.. I offered to help the Ames Historical Society scan photos they were given by the Tribune. Mostly because I want to see all the things from the past that have long since been destroyed.

This town loves to tear down old buildings and put new ones in their place...
and that's why, in a thousand years, America will never realize its age like so many other countries already have. just about everything's either new or last week's garbage.
daoist wrote:
daoist wrote:
Commander
loser

Postby Bucky Katt » Jan 25 2007 08:37:45 pm

Where is the Iowa Transportaion Museum?

On a seperate note, I heard about a (the)1957 Bonneville Special was being restored in Des Moines. Does any one know any thing about it?

btw saw it on http://www.supercars.net
Legacy wrote:I love homestar posts. It reminds me of a crappy soap opera. We could call it "As the retard's turbo spins".

Me Grammar Are the Worstest
Bucky Katt
i <3 strangetalk

Postby Tullamore » Jan 26 2007 10:24:06 am

Bucky Katt wrote:Where is the Iowa Transportaion Museum?

Its in Grinnell at the old Spaulding car factory. Its not open yet but I know people involved with it.

http://www.iowatransportationmuseum.com/
Tullamore
postcount = god

Postby Bucky Katt » Jan 26 2007 02:27:31 pm

Dang. it looks like I won't be in state when it opens.
Legacy wrote:I love homestar posts. It reminds me of a crappy soap opera. We could call it "As the retard's turbo spins".

Me Grammar Are the Worstest
Bucky Katt
i <3 strangetalk

Postby WrenchHead » Jan 26 2007 06:18:29 pm

So how many Deusenbergs are going to be on display ;)

That looks like it will be a cool museum.. And some reason to look forward to returning to Grinnell to see something other than weirdo super-genius hippy students.
WrenchHead

Postby Tullamore » Jan 26 2007 11:48:51 pm

The museum is more interested in getting collections in for display instead of owning a bunch of cars themselves. They will be buying and restoring their own cars and you can watch the work as it is happening as a part of the museum.

Think a much smaller version of the Peterson Auto Museum.
Tullamore
postcount = god

Postby flynfrog v2.1 » Feb 09 2007 05:08:52 pm

WrenchHead wrote:So how many Deusenbergs are going to be on display ;)

That looks like it will be a cool museum.. And some reason to look forward to returning to Grinnell to see something other than weirdo super-genius hippy students.
werd

thats a sweet car too

i didnt know they were doing anything with the old buildign in grinell i reber being amazed by it as a child cause they made cars there
flynfrog v2.1
omfg addicted

Postby Tullamore » Nov 07 2008 01:05:14 pm

I was contacted last night by RM Auctions who is doing research on the car for the upcoming auction. Here is the car in its current restored state.

StrangeTalk is getting the exclusive first look at the car, they have not posted information or pictures on the car on their site yet as they are still doing the research.

It will be for sale at their auction on January 16th. http://www.rmauctions.com/default.cfm?SaleCode=AZ09

Tullamore
postcount = god

Postby stick » Nov 07 2008 01:14:01 pm

thats a pretty cool looking car... Unfortunatly I'm sure it is out of my price range, but I'd drive it if I could :-)
stick
"Busted"

Postby WrenchHead » Nov 07 2008 01:31:08 pm

I think Tullamore knows what his mission is now. The car must return to Ames.

I just noticed the Story county license plate:

Photo geek:

The color photos above were 5 second exposures at f22 made with a Canon EOS D1 MK II.
WrenchHead

Postby Jobu » Nov 07 2008 03:15:57 pm

The front end on that thing is a disaster.
The man with the world's largest penis wrote:“They asked me if that’s a growth – and i said no, that’s my dick,”
Jobu
there's a real world?

Postby Mr. Bloodthirsty » Nov 07 2008 03:17:15 pm

If the edges about the headlights were rounded off a bit better it wouldn't look so ridiculous.
Monsignor wrote:Life is not precious. There's craploads of it.
Mr. Bloodthirsty
postcount = god

Postby WrenchHead » Nov 07 2008 03:29:40 pm

It's weird to me because it looks like a 1970s car up front, but it was built in 1952.

This is the car it was built on top of:

That sheds a bit of light onto the overall design. They were massaging and bending away from the Mercury look.
WrenchHead

Postby Uncle Sherm » Nov 07 2008 07:16:06 pm

Looking at that car is sort of like looking at a really hot chick that smiles and you realize she's wearing braces. It just doesn't look right.
LOLRONPAUL
XKCD wrote:Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind.
Uncle Sherm
Master Debater

Postby WrenchHead » Dec 04 2008 03:22:54 pm

http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.c ... CarID=r188

I like that flathead engine. Lots of gauges on the dash. Them calling it "1950 Mercury Custom "Bob Hope Special"

seems to do disservice to the guy that built it in Iowa.

It's only worth 300,000 dollars.
WrenchHead

Re:

Postby stick » May 09 2009 10:49:10 pm

WrenchHead wrote:http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AZ09&CarID=r188

I like that flathead engine. Lots of gauges on the dash. Them calling it "1950 Mercury Custom "Bob Hope Special"

seems to do disservice to the guy that built it in Iowa.

It's only worth 300,000 dollars.

Sold for 148,500
stick
"Busted"

Return to Automotive